If you were injured while under a medical professional’s care, you may want to speak to a medical malpractice lawyer in Orlando from Needle & Ellenberg, P.A. You may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you file a claim against the negligent party and protect your legal rights.
Common Causes of Surgical Errors
Surgeries can treat many different injuries and illnesses and help people live longer lives. However, if surgeons and other surgical staff are negligent, patients can suffer life-threatening injuries. Here are some of the most common causes of surgical errors.
- Fatigue. Surgeons often work very long hours and may not get enough rest. When surgeons are fatigued, they can’t focus on the surgery they’re performing and make serious mistakes.
- Poor communication. In order for a surgery to go smoothly, there must be frequent communication among surgeons, nurses and other staff members. If a nurse, for example, forgets to document a patient’s allergies, it can lead to dangerous consequences.
- Incompetence. Some surgical errors result from pure incompetence. If a surgeon isn’t properly trained to perform a certain procedure, he or she is more likely to make mistakes that can harm the patient.
- Insufficient staff. Each procedure should have a sufficient number of staff members. Otherwise, those on the surgical team may be overworked and make mistakes.
- Poor planning. As a medical malpractice lawyer in Orlando can attest, some surgical errors result from insufficient planning. Surgeons must adequately plan for each procedure to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Otherwise, the surgical team may not have all the instruments they need for the procedure or steps in the procedure may be overlooked.
- Unsanitary conditions. Many patients believe that operating rooms are completely sanitary. Unfortunately, this isn’t always true. If surgical instruments haven’t been fully sanitized, patients can suffer serious infections.
- Drugs or alcohol. Sometimes surgeons may turn to drugs or alcohol to deal with the stressful nature of the job. The sad fact is that this can severely endanger patients’ lives.
Why It’s Important to Work with a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you’re the victim of a surgical error, it’s in your best interest to hire a skilled medical malpractice lawyer in Orlando. Medical malpractice cases are notoriously complex, so it pays to have someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. A lawyer will know the true value of your case and fight for fair compensation.
Schedule a consultation with a medical malpractice lawyer in Orlando.