Cancer Misdiagnosis Lawyer Miami, FL
Finding out that you have cancer after an initial misdiagnosis can be extremely upsetting. Unfortunately, cancer misdiagnosis is one of the leading types of medical misdiagnosis in the country. When this happens, you might miss important opportunities to treat cancer early on. If your cancer was not diagnosed, or you were diagnosed and treated for cancer when you had a different medical condition, call a cancer misdiagnosis lawyer Miami, FL trusts as soon as possible. Needle & Ellenberg, P.A., works with individuals and families every day. We know how upsetting a misdiagnosis can be, and we understand everything at stake. Let us find out how we may be able to help you. Call Needle & Ellenberg, P.A., to speak with a medical malpractice lawyer Miami, FL has to offer.
The Failure to Diagnose Cancer
When it comes to cancer, early detection is very important. Cancer can spread quickly, and without diagnosing the condition, it can become serious, or deadly. Doctors are required to have the training and knowledge to identify potential symptoms of cancer. When a patient has these symptoms, tests should be ordered to rule out cancer. In the event cancer is the cause of the symptoms, treatment should be made available right away. When a doctor fails to perform these basic duties, they can be found negligent. This means they failed to perform their standard duties of care. In this situation, the patient (or victim) may be able to file a medical malpractice claim for cancer misdiagnosis.
The Most Common Types of Cancer Misdiagnosis
Any type of cancer can be misdiagnosed. However, there are some that are more common than others. As a cancer misdiagnosis lawyer in Miami, FL, we have handled cases involving:
- Breast Cancer – Failure to diagnose a lump, or perform the necessary testing. A claim might also be filed when the results have been misread.
- Prostate Cancer – Failure to perform tests after a patient complains of symptoms related to prostate cancer.
- Skin Cancer – Failure to order a skin biopsy when there is evidence of melanoma.
- Esophageal Cancer – It is common to diagnose this type of cancer as GERD.
- Lung Cancer – Misdiagnosis the cancer as COPD, a cough, or other illnesses.
A cancer misdiagnosis lawyer in Miami, FL might also file a claim for failure to diagnose cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, testicular cancer, brain cancer, or cancer of the pancreas (not limited to).
Why Cancer Might Go Undiagnosed
There are a number of reasons that lead to a misdiagnosis of cancer. These include:
- Failure to order or perform tests
- Misreading the results of tests
- Unreasonable delay of tests
- Not referring the patient to a specialist
- Failure to communicate abnormal results
With many cases, the patient is relieved to hear they don’t have cancer only to find out later on that they were misdiagnosed. Not only is this emotionally upsetting, but by the time a diagnosis is made, the cancer may have progressed. Medical treatment might not be available or as successful.
Let a cancer misdiagnosis lawyer Miami, FL families know and respect listen to your case. Call Needle & Ellenberg, P.A, today.