Birth injuries such as:
- Brachial palsy, which occurs as a grouping of nerves that control the arms and hands, is injured during the child’s birth. This is very common if you are having issues delivering a baby and that your child has shoulder dystocia. A child with a brachial plexus injury is not going to be able to flex will rotate their arm; and if this injury is caused by bruising or swelling, it will return on its own. However, tearing of this nerve is going to cause permanent nerve damage, and they will need to do special exercises to maintain their range of motion.
- Bruising or forceps marks occur when forceps are used during delivery. Often time bruising simply occurs because the child passed through the birth canal and they came into contact with their mother’s pelvic bones and tissue. Sometimes a baby delivered by vacuum extraction may have scalp bruising or scalp cuts.
- Caput succedaneum is a noticeable swelling of the soft tissues on the baby’s scalp. This develops as the child is traveling through the birth canal. Some babies are going to have used this area and this willingness to go away without problem.this is very commonly seen in children who are birthed with vacuum extraction.
- Cephalohematoma is an area of bleeding between the skull bone and the fibrous covering; oftentimes this appears after birth as a raised lump on the child’s head. This view absorbs back into the body, and can take two weeks to three months to disappear entirely.
- Facial paralysis occurs for many reasons. But sometimes it occurs when there is pressure on the baby’s face. This injury is most often seen when the baby cries because there will be no movement on the side of the face that is paralyzed.
- Fractures occur commonly on the clavicle or collarbone, and this is because when you have trouble delivering a child, you may break one of these phones. It’s very common to have trouble delivering a child due to it being in breach, or delivering a child and injuring the shoulder.
When do I contact a medical malpractice lawyer?
You should contact the medical malpractice lawyer in Orlando as soon as you are aware that there was negligence. As soon as you are aware that there was an injury, you should definitely see a physician about it, and if your next position after the one that was negligent towards you informs you that they suspect negligence, you should then hire a medical malpractice lawyer.
If you and your family have experienced medical malpractice due to negligence from a hospital staff member, you should reach out to a medical malpractice lawyer in Orlando such as the ones available Needle & Ellenberg PA for all of your question needs.