All parents want to have healthy children. If a mistake is made during the labor and delivery process, however, the infant may suffer severe harm. Here are a few common misconceptions about birth injuries that you shouldn’t believe.
- If the doctor said the birth injury could not be avoided, I can’t sue. Many doctors are not willing to take blame for mistakes that occurred during the labor and delivery process. They know that they may face stiff consequences and may try to convince parents that the birth injury could not be avoided. Don’t believe this. Have an experienced lawyer investigate your case and determine if there was negligence or not.
- Birth injuries typically result from genetic issues. This is not true either. Most of the time, medical negligence contributes to birth injuries. For instance, if the doctor uses forceps incorrectly or doesn’t perform a C-section when necessary, the infant may suffer a serious injury.
- It is not possible to prove negligence in a birth injury case. Proving medical malpractice in a birth injury case might not be easy, but it certainly is not impossible. A skilled birth injury lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL can help you obtain your medical records and identify expert witnesses, strengthening your case.
- My child’s injury is too mild to minor to warrant a lawsuit. Some birth injuries are considered mild, allowing children to make a full recovery over time. However, even if your child’s birth injury is mild, it can still result in hefty medical bills. Therefore, you’re completely justified in pursuing a lawsuit.
- Cerebral palsy is the only injury a baby can suffer during labor and delivery. Cerebral palsy is one of the most common injuries babies sustain during labor and delivery, but it definitely is not the only one. Other birth injuries include facial paralysis, brachial plexus, spinal cord injuries and fractured collar bones. If your baby suffered any of these injuries, it’s important to get in touch with a birth injury lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Schedule a consultation with a birth injury lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL today.